- Difficulty: Moderate
- Category: Walking, self-guided
- Duration: 7 nights, 8 days
- Recommended time of year: 1st May - 15th October
Self-guided, moderate level walking tour in Somiedo, land of bears.
- Starting in Oviedo, beautiful city center.
- Delightful mountain walks in one of Spain´s best preserved wilderness areas.
- Stunning and very reasonably priced traditional food and drink of Asturias.
- Area of special protection for wildlife, including bear and wolf.
- A chance to visit mountain villages used by shepherds in the summer months.
Spectacular walking in one of the last wild spaces of Western Europe. This mountainous region of Asturias is a natural park and biosphere reserve, bears and wolves still find pristine habitats here in which to thrive.
Wonderful, signposted footpaths in the heart of the reserve will take you to thatch-roof mountain villages where shepherds spend the summer months. A transfer will take you to a high point each day to take away the hard work so that your concentrate on enjoying the breath-taking mountain views over the deep valleys and dense broadleaf forests.
Discover the hospitable people and the splendid food of this region of Northern Spain and its stunning mountain villages (some of which have been isolated until some 30 years).
Which airport should I fly to? Asturias International Airport.
How do I get to the Starting Point? The first night in Oviedo itself by bus from the airport. The next day on to the walking area itself also by public transport (bus)
How do I get back? Bus service from San Martin de Teverga directly to the airport.
Arrival to Oviedo, the capital city of Asturias and a chance to explore the beautiful historic city center after settling in your hotel and to taste some of the food this region is famous for.
Continue to explore Oviedo before travelling by public transport to Pola de Somiedo in Somiedo Natural Park.
City tour and village walk.
Transfer to the mountain village of La Peral where you start your first walk towards the isolated valley of Villar de Vildas walking past the shepherds hamlet of La Pornacal, high in the mountains.
Distance: 14,3 km, Ascent:+ 500m and Descent:- 960m
Wonderful walk along an area of special protection for wildlife initially high on a hill offering splendid views of the valley below and later in deep deciduous woodland until you reach the quaint village of Valle del Lago, where you will spend the next two nights.
Distance: 11,4 km, Ascemt:+ 540m and Descent:- 560m.
Transfer to the Farrapona Mountain Pass and a fabulous walk from there to visit the glacial lakes and valley of El Lago that Somiedo is famous for.
Distance: 13,4 km Ascent:+ 282m and Descent:- 768m.
Another stunning walk today from another mountain pass, offering stunning views throughout and passing through another shepherds hamlet "Braña" and the remains of a roman road. An entire day walking in an inspiring natural environment. The sort of place where one can feel truly happy for a day!.
Distance: 21 km Ascent:+473m and Descent:-1080m.
One last day of walking, a circular route taking you through lovely small villages along a forest of chestnut, oak, beech and birch trees. Spectacular walking once again.
Distance:13,7 km Ascent: +767m and Descent: -776m
Day 8: Return or extra nights in Oviedo.
Day 1: Oviedo
Day 2 and 3: Pola de Somiedo
Day 4 and 5: Valle del Lago
Day 6 and 7: San Salvador de Alesga
- Price: 616€ per person
- Single supplement: 112€
- Solo supplement: 239€
- Half Board: 90€
- 7 nights´ accommodation.
- 7 breakfasts.
- Local transfers to starting point of walks on days 2, 3, 4, 5 and transfer from end of walk on day 2.
- Luggage transfers between hotels.
- Detailed maps with your trail clearly marked.
- GPS with tracks.
- Itinerary description, full of recommendations for things to do and places to visit, advice and suggestions and information about your accommodation, etc.
- Emergency support.
- Activity insurance.