- Difficulty: Moderate
- Category: Walking, self-guided
- Duration: 7 nights, 8 days
- Recommended time of year: 1st May - 15th October
A stunning walking holiday through Somiedo, one of the last wild spaces of western Europe
- Spectacular walking in a breathtaking natural park and biosphere reserve in the heart of Asturias.
- Discover the vibrant city of Oviedo with its beautiful city centre.
- Sensational mountain walks in one of Spain´s best preserved wilderness areas.
- Savour the mouthwatering traditional food and drink of Asturias and meet the hospitable locals!
- Area of special protection for wildlife, bears and wolves still find find pristine habitats here in which to thrive.
- A chance to visit ancient mountain villages used by shepherds in the summer months.
Which airport should I fly to? Asturias International Airport.
How do I get to the Starting Point? The first night in Oviedo itself by bus from the airport. The next day on to the walking area itself also by public transport (bus)
How do I get back? Bus service from San Martin de Teverga directly to the airport.
Day 1: Arrival to Oviedo
Arrival to Oviedo, the capital city of Asturias and a chance to explore the beauty of the medieval city centre with its stunning gothic cathedral parts of which date back to the 9th century. Take time to meander the streets and admire the typical local architecture while enjoying this buzzing lively city.
Day 2: Oviedo - Pola de Somiedo
You may have time to continue to explore the delights of Oviedo this morning before travelling by public transport to the beautiful village of Pola de Somiedo in Somiedo Natural Park. This is a truly impressive location surrounded by high rugged peaks with birds of prey swooping overhead. Make sure you try the delicious local cuisine! Here you can take the opportunity to gather more information about the park in the local visitors' centre.
Day 3: La Peral - Villar de Vildas
Transfer to the isolated mountain village of La Peral where you start your first walk towards the tranquil valley of Villar de Vildas. You will come across the enchanting thatch-roof shepherd's hamlet of La Pornacal, high in the mountains where you witness the time-honored pastoral traditions still practised today. This really is a place lost in time!
Distance: 14,3 km, Ascent:+ 500m and Descent:- 960m
Day 4: Llamardal - Valle del Lago
Today your route continues along well-singposted footpaths in an area of special protection for wildlife. Today's views are truly magnificent, you will feel as if you are on the top of the world! You will then descend in to deciduous woodland until you reach the authentic quaint village of Valle del Lago, where you will spend the next two nights.
Distance: 11,4 km, Ascemt:+ 540m and Descent:- 560m.
Day 5: Farrapona - Valle del Lago
Transfer to the Farrapona Mountain Pass and a fabulous walk from here to visit the impressive glacial lakes surrounded by imposing summits. Then a breathtaking decent in to the remote valley of El Lago. You'll be spoilt for choice for idyllic picnic spots today, every view is captivating!
Distance: 13,4 km Ascent:+ 282m and Descent:- 768m.
Day 6: Puerto San Lorenzo - San Salvador
Today's route takes you from the majestic San Lorenzo mountain pass to the secluded mountain village of San Salvador. You will pass by the remarkable 'Braña de la Corra', with the enchanting timeworn 'teitos' still in use by the local farmers. Enjoy this wonderful day walking in an inspiring natural environment! Watch out for interesting animal tracks as you walk. This is the sort of place where one can feel truly happy for a day!
Distance: 21 km Ascent:+473m and Descent:-1080m.
Day 7: San Salvador circular route
Today you will have the opportunity to visit the fascinating 'Cueva Huerta' with its towering vaults and winding galleries. This circular route takes you through tiny ancestral villages lost in time, the remaining vestiges of a bygone era. Chestnut, oak, beech and birch trees will accompany you as you enjoy this spectacular walk.
Distance:13,7 km Ascent: +767m and Descent: -776m
Day 8: Return or extra nights in Oviedo.
Why not indulge in an extra night or two in Oviedo to enjoy this culturally rich city.
ACCOMMODATIONThe hand-picked hotels on this route include small, family-run rural hotels where you can relax comfortably after your day's walk.
Day 1: Oviedo
Day 2 and 3: Pola de Somiedo
Day 4 and 5: Valle del Lago
Day 6 and 7: San Salvador de Alesga
- Price: 655€ per person
- Single supplement: 137€
- Solo supplement: 264€
- Half Board / Dinners: 120€
- 7 nights´ accommodation.
- 7 breakfasts.
- Local transfers to starting point of walks on days 2, 3, 4, 5 and transfer from end of walk on day 2.
- Luggage transfers between hotels.
- Detailed maps with your trail clearly marked.
- GPS with tracks.
- Itinerary description, full of recommendations for things to do and places to visit, advice and suggestions and information about your accommodation, etc.
- Emergency support.
- Activity insurance.