- Difficulty: Easy-Moderate
- Category: Walking, self-guided
- Duration: 7 nights, 8 days
- Recommended time of year: 1st April - 31st October
Discover the beauty of the National Park of Guadarrama, the enchanting city of Segovia and the magic of the Duraton Canyon.
- Take a step back in time in the enchanting historic city of Segovia, World Heritage Site, with its remarkable Roman aqueduct and captivating castle and cathedral.
- Delight your senses as you walk through the aromatic pine woodland of the Guadarrama National Park, home to the Iberian wolf, native wild boar, deer and a host of birds of prey.
- Immerse yourself in Castilian culture as you stroll through centuries-old ochre villages and towns anchored in an age long past.
- Discover the timeless beauty of the hanging houses of Sepulveda, a Historic-Artistic site with its abundance of Romanesque monuments and elegant 11th century nobel houses.
- Walk through the impressive canyon of the Duraton river as squadrons of magnificent griffon vultures spiral overhead.
- Wander the cobbled streets of San Ildefonso with its resplendent royal palace nestled at the feet of the highest peak in the park, Peñalara at 2.428 m.
- Drove roads, countrylanes, riverside paths and quiet cobbled streets acompany you through this tailor-made walking route.
Which airport should I fly to? Madrid International Airport.
How do I get to the Starting Point? Catch an AVE, high speed train, from Madrid to Segovia (takes approx 25mins).
How do I get back? Book our local transfer from Sepulveda to Segovia (1 hour) and catch an AVE back into Madrid.
Day 1: Arrival to Segovia
Arrival at the ancient city of Segovia, situated in the heart of central Spain.
Day 2: City tour in Segovia
This fabulous walking tour in Spain begins in the monumental city of Segovia, declared a Unesco World Heritage Site in 1985. You will spend the first night in the city and have a chance to explore its many historic jewels like the towering Roman Aqueduct, a veritable marvel of ancient civil engineering which still provided water to the city only last century. Take time to enjoy a chilled glass of wine in the exquisite 'Plaza Mayor' while contemplating the magnificent cathedral, then take a stroll to the fairytale, ornate Alcazar, where queen Isabel sent Christopher Columbus on his exploration of the Americas.
Day 3: Riverside walk to Valsain
A short transfer takes you to the historic town of San Ildefonso. Your route today is a circular walk along the banks of the river Eresma as its meanders through the tranquil pineforest. You'll pass through the typical mountain village of Valsain where the local woodcutters, cow herders and horsemen maintain ancient traditions with a modern twist!
10-17 Km / Climb: 390 m
Day 4: Circular walk to 'El Chorro' waterfall
Today you will come upon the refreshing pools of the 'El Chorro' waterfall as you pass through the oak and pine woodland on the slopes of Peñalara. You can combine your walk with a visit to the magnificent palace of San Ildefonso, surrounded by rustic gardens and ornate fountains, and the interesting glass-making exhibition and museum.
10,5 km / Climb: 464 m
Day 5: Walk along the foothills
Today's transfer takes you to Pradena to walk along ancient drover´s tracks taking you through sweet-scented juniper forests to the traditional little mountain village of Gallegos.
16 Km / Climb: 420 m
Day 6: Walk amongst sunflower fields towards Sepulveda
From the mountains another short transfer takes you north towards the plains of Castile, to follow a GR route through picturesque fields of cereals and sunflowers. You then descend into a gorge with towering limestone cliffs, home to a multitude of birds and other wildlife. You will spend the last two nights in the ancient hill-top town of Sepulveda.
16 km / Climb: 420 m
Day 7: Circular walk in the Duraton Canyon
Your fina walk is along the peaceful riverside of the Duraton Canyon Natural Park. Spiraling above you, you will see circling birds of prey which nest on the limestone cliffs either side of the river. A special permit will give you privileged access to this protected area. Enjoy this true haven of peace and tranquility as you say goodbye to the canyon... you won't want to leave!
16 km / Climb: 367 m
Return home or why not enjoy an extra night or two in Segovia or Madrid?
Situated in the very heart of Segovia, next to the Main Square and the Cathedral. This 15th century building was turned into a Hotel & Spa in 2005 incorporating many arqueological remains to up-to-date comfort.
Comfortable hotel at the historic gates of the town, a brief walk from the royal palace and gardens.
Small family-run rural hotel full of character. Excellent hospitable host. Small outdoor swimming pool in a rustic garden with views of the mountains.
Situated in the old historic centre of Sepulveda. A protected building and one of the oldest buildings in town, with a XIIth century Romanesque front and XVth century inner courtyard. It consists of eight original and carefully decorated bedrooms around the courtyard and a garden offering wonderful views. English spoken by this hospitable host and her team.
- Price: 630€ per person
- Single supplement: 200€
- Solo supplement: 273€
- Half Board / dinners: 132€
- 7 nights´ accommodation.
- 7 breakfasts.
- Transfer Segovia - San Ildefonso Day 3.
- Transfer San Ildefonso - Pradena Day 5.
- Transfer Gallegos - Castilnovo Day 6.
- Luggage transfers between hotels.
- Detailed maps with your trail clearly marked.
- Itinerary description, full of recommendations for things to do and places to visit, advice and suggestions and information about your accommodation, etc.
- Emergency support.
- Activity insurance.
CHECK AVAILABILITY AND RESOLVE YOUR DOUBTS
PRICE CALCULATION AND BOOKINGUsing the tool below you can calculate the final price of your trip. PLEASE, BEFORE YOU BOOK, CONSULT AVAILABILITY.
Walking Segovia´s Natural Parks