- Difficulty: Easy-Moderate
- Category: Donkey trekking, self-guided
- Duration: 6 nights, 7 days
- Recommended time of year: 1st April - 31st October
A very special family walking holiday through the Guadarrama National Park as your kids fall in love with their furry friend!
- A unique walking holiday tailor-made for families, a chance for you to have a fun adventure together, make lasting memories and enjoy your family while we take care of the logistics.
- Let us make this a stress-free holiday for you all! All meals included (daily picnic lunch), transfers to and from Segovia and luggage move daily. It couldn't be easier!
- Well-trained, docile donkeys with saddle and bridle so that the kids can ride when they get tired. You also have panniers for carrying your picnic... So that you can travel light!
- You'll all fall in love with your equine friend! The kids will walk happily for miles beside their donkey. They won't want to say goodbye.
- Family-friendly hotels all with or near swimming pools!
- A carefully hand-picked route following ancient drove roads through idilic pastoral countryside on the Northdern slopes of the Guadarrama National Park.
- Look out for deer, wild-boar and even the elusive iberian wolf as eagles, kites and rare black vultures spiral overhead in this protected haven for wildlife.
- Discover centuries old villages with narrow cobbled streets and the timeless beauty of Romanesque churches and Moorish castles as you walk.
- Unmissable opportunity of extra nights to visit Segovia, Unesco World Heritage Site. An enchanting city where the kids will love the Roman Aqueduct and the turreted castle the 'Alcazar', reputedly the inspiration for Walt Disney's Cinderella's castle!
Which airport should I fly to? Madrid International Airport.
How do I get to the Starting Point? Catch an AVE (High Speed Train) from Madrid to Segovia (12,20€, takes 25mins). From here we take you to the starting point for free (30 min private transfer)
How do I get back? Again, we´ll include the final transfer from Gallegos to Segovia for free so that you can catch an AVE (High Speed Train) back into Madrid (12,20€, takes 25mins).
Day 1: Arrival to Navafria
In the foothills of the Guadarrama Mountains. This being Spain, you will have time for a swim in the local natural pool of the river Cega where you can enjoy an apperitivo in the little river-side bar under the pine trees or have a walk around this pretty village before dinner.
Day 2: Circular route in Navafria
This morning you'll meet your friendly donkey and will be shown how to handle and look after him! You then set off on your family adventure! You'll walk towards the mountains on an excursion into the aromatic pine woodland of Navafria and its famous waterfall "el Chorro". Don't forget your swimsuit today, you'll have plenty of opportunities for a refreshing dip. On your return, you'll put your donkey into his asigned field and the kids can give him his dinner.
Day 3: Navafria to Requijada
The kids will be eager to say good morning to their donkey and get him ready as you all head along the ancient "Cañada Real Segoviana" towards the hill-side hamlet of Requijada. Today’s walk takes you along the River Cega and through the picture postcard village of Valle de San Pedro. There'll be lots of pretty picnic possibilities along the way! You pass the ancient church of San Justo y Pastor and walk through the tiny hamlet of La Mata where there is a little park for the kids. From here, an old drovers’ trail will lead you along a very picturesque route into Requijada. Your four-legged friend will spend the night in the grounds of the hotel. The kids can have a dip in the pool before dinner.
Day 4: Requijada to Pedraza
After breakfast, you’ll collect your picnic and get your donkey ready. Then you’ll take a tiny country lane which takes you across the same river valley as yesterday. Then you head up into the hills where you’ll pick up a drovers’ trail past a local cattle ranch. See who can be first to spot the hill-top village of Pedraza in the distance with its honey-coloured city walls and medieval castle. As you enter this beautifully preserved monumental village through its ancient stone archway, you’ll be transported back in time to a by gone era of knights and maidens! With a donkey as your trusty steed!!
Day 5: Pedraza to Gallegos
After the kids have given their donkey some breakfast in his little enclosure beside the hotel, it will be time to set off on the next step of your adventure. This morning, you’ll leave Pedraza, passing an ancient monastery and take a new agricultural track with delightful views of the distant mountain villages nestled in the foothills of the ‘Sierra de Guadarrama’ before you. You’ll pass through two very quaint limestone villages today where you can enjoy a snack and a cold drink in the terrace of one of the local bar/restaurants. When you reach your destination, the tiny hamlet of Gallegos, the kids will probably want to jump straight into the pool as you relax in the shade with a chilled drink in hand!
Day 6: Gallegos to Navafria
By now, the kids will be experts in getting their donkey ready in the mornings! Pack your picnic in your panniers and set off towards the mountain village of Navafría, where the adventure began! You’ll have another opportunity for a dip in the natural river pool! Make sure the kids gets plenty of time to say a loving farewell to their treasured companion and newest best friend, before local farmer and donkey enthusiast, Luis comes to take the donkey home!
Day 7: Departure or extra nights
Return home today?? Make sure you take the opportunity of extra nights in Segovia, the kids will love it! Or, why not visit Madrid and get to know our capital city.
*All outdoor swimming pools are subject to seasonal opening times and are weather dependent!
A mountain village house, renovated in rustic style. 14 magnificent bedrooms decorated with love. Restaurant, gardens, comfortable living rooms. A friendly Spanish family from the village run this hotel very well indeed. Nearby natural swimming pool in the river Cega.
Traditional building in an isolated village of extraordinary beauty. Only four double rooms with all the creature comforts and decorated to a high standard with a lot of attention to detail. Own restaurant and outdoor swimming pool. English spoken.
Located in the beautifully preserved medieval town of Pedraza, this rural hotel combines comfort with old Castilian rustic style. Ten very comfortable rooms and dining room, beautiful inner courtyard and bar. English not spoken, but friendly staff very willing to understand.
Small rural hotel full of character. Eleven comfortable bedrooms imaginatively decorated. Common areas include dining room, living room, terrace and gardens. Excellent host who speaks English. Small outdoor swimming pool.
- Price: 634€ per adult.
- Adults or children in single room: 747€ (per person)
- Solo traveller price: 836€
- 1st child in family room: 421€
- 2nd child in family room: 291€
- Child sharing double room with single parent (price per child): 550€
- 2 children in their own double room: 455€ per child
- 3 children in their own triple room: 444€ per child
- Donkey Hire: 175€
- 6 nights’ accommodation in family-friendly small rural hotels (2 with own swimming pools and two near pools).
- Free transfers between Segovia and the walking area (30mins)
- 6 breakfasts, 5 picnic lunches and 5 dinners.
- Luggage transfers between hotels.
- Detailed maps with your trail clearly marked.
- Itinerary description, full of recommendations for things to do and places to visit, advice and suggestions and information about your accommodation, etc.
- Emergency support.
- Activity insurance.
- Donkey hire (5 days).
Galindo, Ligoncete, Marina, Gordito, Madrileño… Our donkeys live in the Guadarrama Mountains and are experienced trekking companions. They are tall donkeys of a Spanish race called Zamorano: docile, tranquil animals of unexpected intelligence! You will be surprised at how well they keep a good pace and how they can carry the children without complaint!