- Difficulty: Easy-Moderate
- Category: Cycling, self-guided
- Duration: 7 nights, 8 days
- Recommended time of year: 1st March – 30th June and 1st Sept – 30th October
Discover this vibrant Mediterranean city, its beautiful coastline and its hidden historical gems.
- Two nights in Valencia to explore the city and visit the famous City of Arts and Science.
- Cycle through the Albufera de Valencia Natural Park, a wetland of international importance for the protection of birds.
- Explore quiet country roads and discover little Spanish towns with few foreign tourists.
- In Montanejos you can enjoy bathing in its hot springs as did the 13th century Arabic king and his favourite wives!
- Follow the river Millars downstream as it descends to the coast.
- A delightful coastal path awaits you on the last two cycling days with fantastic views over the Mediterranean Sea.
- Lose yourself in the cobbled streets of Peñiscola before taking a dip in the Med and relaxing on the beach! Why not treat yourself to an extra night, or two?
Which airport should I fly to? Valencia international airport.
How do I get to the Starting Point? From Valencia airport there is public transport to Valencia city centre.
How do I get back? By public transport (train from nearby Benicarló) or private transfer from Peñiscola back to Valencia city or airport.
Day 1: Arrival to Valencia
Airport transfer to your modern hotel in Valencia where you will spend the next two nights. A chance to explore the historic city centre and the spectacular, iconic City of Arts and Science a few minutes away.
Day 2: Circular route to the Albufera Natural Park
Bike handover. Travel along cycle lanes out of the city. Explore the internationally renowned Albufera Wetlands while enjoying cycling along the beachfront and stopping along the way for a swim.
27 miles (44 km)
Day 3: Barracas to Mora de Rubielos
Private transfer for you and your bikes to the interior of Valencia. Delightful cycle along a dedicated track amongst beautiful landscapes and later along quiet country roads to reach the charming town of Mora de Rubielos with its many monuments dating back to the 14th Century.
23 miles (37 km)
Day 4: Mora de Rubielos to Montanejo
An easy cycle along winding country roads following the course of a river to finish in the spa town of Montanejo with its delightful thermal waters where you can take a dip.
25 miles (40 km)
Day 5: Montanejos to Grao de Castellon
Another cycling day amongst mountains, mostly downhill as you follow a beautiful river valley to the sea. You will end your day in El Grao de Castellón where you can spend the afternoon on the beach followed by a seafood feast in its port!
24 miles (39 km)
Day 6: Grao de Castellón to Alcossebre
Fantastic cycle beside the sea along the maritime walk, or small coastal roads with a chance to stop and enjoy the beautiful beaches along the way.
30 miles (49 km)
Day 7: Alcossebre to Peñiscola
Today's route takes you through wild tracks criss-crossing the marine Sierra de Irta Natural Park. Here you can enjoy undisturbed wild life and virgin beaches as the route picks its way along coastal paths to finish in the picture-postcard town of Peñiscola for one last night beside the seafront.
11 miles (18 km)
Day 8: Departure or extra nights
Why not treat yourself to an extra night or two to relax and explore Peñiscola or Valencia.
Days 1 and 2 Valencia
Modern hotel located in front of the City of the Arts and Science in city centre Valencia. ***star.
Day 3 Mora de Rubielos
Quaint stone building hotel in the main square. ***star.
Day 4 Montanejos
Rustic Spa Hotel overlooking river Mijares. ***star.
Day 5 El Grao de Castellón
Modern hotel overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. ***stars.
Day 6 Alcossebre
Relaxed hotel overlooking the sea and very near the beach. ***star.
Day 7 Peñíscola
****star hotel overlooking the Mediterranean. Across the road from the beach and a pleasant walk away from Peñiscola castle.
Our hire bikes and equipment:
A bicycle specialist will deliver your hire bike and adjust it to your specifications. We provide you with fully equipped touring bicycles. Remember that we carry your luggage between hotels so you can travel light.
Prices March, April, May, June, Oct, Nov.
- Price: 772€ per person
- Single room supplement: 137€
- Solo Traveller supplement: 322€
- Half board / dinners (wine not incl.): 140€
- Bike hire: 100€
- Electric Bike hire: 150€
- Price: 845€ per person
- Single supplement: 191€
- Solo Traveller supplement: 374€
- Half board: 140€
- Bike hire: 100€
- Electric Bike hire: 150€
- 7 nights´ accommodation.
- 7 breakfasts.
- Transfers on day 3 from Valencia to Barracas and on day 5 from Onda to Grao de Castellón.
- Luggage transfers between hotels.
- Detailed maps with your trail clearly marked.
- Itinerary description, full of recommendations for things to do and places to visit, advice and suggestions and information about your accommodation, etc.
- Emergency support.
- Activity insurance.
CHECK AVAILABILITY AND RESOLVE YOUR DOUBTS