- Difficulty: Moderate
- Category: Cycling, self-guided
- Duration: 18 days
- Recommended time of year: 1st April - 31st October
Self-guided, moderate level cycling tour along the full Camino de Santiago.
- World Heritage Recognition.
- Starting crossing the Pyrenees by bike.
- Pamplona, famous for its tapas and running of the bulls.
- Logroño, the heart of the Rioja wine region.
- Burgos´ Gothic Cathedral.
- Leon´s Cathedral and historic city center.
- Astorga: episcopal palace designed by Gaudi and Cathedral.
- Molinaseca: Medieval village.
- O´Cebreiro: Ancient mountain village.
- Cycling along small country roads with people from many other countries.
- Santiago: Impressive Cathedral and historic town center.
You will be cycling the full 798 kms of the classic Camino de Santiago “Camino Francés”. Each day´s cycling will be different, not only in terms of how many kms you will cover but also in terms of how much climbing and descending you do. The landscapes you will come across will change dramatically as you cycle on, from the high peaks of the Pyrenees, to the deep valley of the Ebro River in La Rioja, from the vast plains of Castilla´s high Plateau to the mountains of northern León and on to the green mountainous region of Galicia.
Along the way you will come across towns and cities inhabited by many cultures and civilizations over the last few millennia who have all left their mark in the form of monuments of staggering beauty and who have shaped the people that today inhabit this land. But the Camino is more than a journey across the Spanish landscape, it is a personal journey and it is a journey that unites people from many parts of the globe, all of whom decide to undertake this task.
If you don´t have enough days to do the full Camino, consider splitting it and doing over two 10 day trips or three 7 day trips. We´ll give you a personalised quote.
Which airport should I fly to? Madrid or Bilbao International Airports.
How do I get to the Starting Point? The tour starts in Roncesvalles, a small town in the Pyrenees near the border between Spain and France. In order to reach it first you will have to reach the nearest city, Pamplona. To get to Pamplona it is possible to get an internal flight from another Spanish airport but the most commonly used way to reach it is by bus or train from cities with international airports. Bilbao is the nearest international airport.
How do I get back? From Santiago airport back home directly or via another airport.
Arrival at the Mountain village of Roncesvalles, close to the French-Spanish border.
Bicycle and equipment hand-over and transfer to the starting point in the French town of Saint Jean Pied de Port. Cycle from SJPDP to Roncesvalles. 25 km by bike.
Roncesvalles to Pamplona 49 Km by bike.
Pamplona to Estella 41 Km by bike.
Estella to Logroño 50 Km by bike.
Logroño to Sto Domingo de la Calzada 50 Km by bike.
Sto Domingo de la Calzada to Burgos 73 Km by bike.
Burgos to Fromista 67 Km by bike.
Fromista to Sahagun 62 Km by bike.
Sahagun to Leon 57 Km by bike.
Leon to Astorga 53 Km by bike.
Astorga to Molinaseca 49 Km by bike.
Molinaseca to Ferrerias 59 Km by bike.
Ferrerias to Sarria 59 Km by bike.
Sarria to Palas de Rei 46 Km by bike.
Palas de Rei to O´Pino 41 Km by bike.
O´Pino to Santiago 19 Km by bike.
Extra nights in Santiago or return.
Our hotels are conveniently positioned very near or on the Camino and are always the best quality on offer along the way. They are typically of 2 and 3 star grading. These are some of the hotels used as an example:
Palas de Rei
Santiago de Compostela (possible upgrade to 4 star hotel: please ask)
Our hire bikes and equipment:
A bicycle specialist will deliver your hire bike and adjust it to your specifications. We provide you with fully equipped touring bicycles. Remember that we carry your luggage between hotels so you can travel light.
||GIANT ARGENTO or equivalent:
Other equipment provided:
- Price: 1.515€ per person
- Single room supplement: 189€
- Half board / dinners: 230€
- Bike hire: 240€
- PILGRIM´S PASSPORT.
- 17 nights´ accommodation.
- 17 breakfasts.
- Luggage transfers between hotels.
- GPS and tracks with your trail clearly marked.
- Itinerary description, full of recommendations for things to do and places to visit, advice and suggestions and information about your accommodation, etc.
- Emergency support.
- Activity insurance.
- 4 star hotel upgrade in Santiago (price on asking).
- Extension cycling to Finisterre, two extra cycling days (price on asking)