- Difficulty: Moderate+
- Category: Cycling, self-guided
- Duration: 7 nights, 8 days
- Recommended time of year: 1st April- 31st October
Discover the very heart of central Spain and immerse yourself in Castilian culture, folklore and tradition.
- An authentic experience for only the most intrepid traveller looking for a grass-roots unique encounter.
- Immerse yourself in history in the enchanting town of Ayllon, with its splendid main square with large stone colonnades, a historic palace, nobel houses and Romanesque churches.
- Discover the magnificent medieval towns of Sigüenza and Jadraque, and the castle of El Cid.
- Marvel at the bewitching 'Tejera Negra', the remote black slate villages of Guadalajara.
- Enjoy the colourful contrast of the 'Pueblos Rojos', the red villages hewn from the striking blood-red clay of this valley.
- Admire the natural beauty of this un-touched area of wilderness with elusive otters, wild-boar, deer and even ephemeral wolves!
- Cycle through the tranquil 'río Dulce' natural parks as its crystal waters accompany you through this striking limestone canyon.
- Taste the traditional cuisine with varied local delicacies to delight the taste buds!
Which airport should I fly to? Madrid International Airport.
How do I get to the Starting Point? By bus from Madrid to Ayllón: 2 hrs.
How do I get back to Madrid Airport? By train from Siguenza to Madrid: 1hr and 45 minutes.
Tarmac: 86.6% Dirt road: 13.4%
Day 1: Arrival to Ayllon
A chance to explore the medieval town centre full of noble mansions from the 15th-17th centuries, its palace and elegant main square. Every corner is a photo opportunity!
Day 2: Ayllon to Riofrio de Riaza
Today you'll receive your bicycle and begin your spectacular first route cycling amongst a vast oak woodland, discovering the quirky red stone villages typical of this area. Visit the medieval town of Riaza, with its fabulous main square, surrounded by colonnades topped with balconies and its imposing Gothic church with its Renaissance tower.
32 miles (53 km) / Climb: 942 m
Day 3: Riofrio de Riaza to Campillo de Ranas
Today's challenge up the Quesera mountain pass rewards you with amazing views over the Guadalajara province. Here you will cycle through a very different landscape of open wooded valleys and the occasional little village, characterised by its traditional architecture using the unique local black slate. The small quiet roads descend into the remote "Tejera Negra Valley" where the stars shine bright at night far away from any light pollution.You will be captivated by these bewitching villages!
25 miles (39 km) / Climb: 771 m
Day 4: Campillo de Ranas to Cogolludo
Cycle along winding country roads, past interesting towns such as Tamajón and Muriel, with a chance for a swim at the Beleña reservoir. Today´s route takes you to Cogolludo where you can enjoy its palace and beautiful main square and inviting restaurants with airy terraces.
23 miles (36 km) / Climb: 505 m
Day 5: Cogolludo to Jadraque
Wide open spaces as you cycle past many small plateaux through traditional shepherding country. Look out for the solitary shepherd with his herd. After an uphill climb you are rewarded by fantastic views of the surrounding countryside and later descend into the historic town of Jadraque, where its imposing castle dominates the landscape.
25 miles (39 km) / Climb: 592 m
Day 6: Jadraque to Sigüenza
Cycle along good country tracks from Jadraque to Pelegrina following the sweet river "Río Dulce", as it sinks into a spectacular canyon, now a protected natural park where large birds of prey thrive. Take time for an exhilirating dip in its crystal clear waters! After a short cycle ride from here you will reach the impressive historic town of Siguenza.
26 miles (43 km) / Climb: 359 m
Day 7: Round trip Sigüenza
The virtues of the historic city of Sigüenza are almost endless, a real baptism in history! Explore it's 5th century castle, 12th century cathedral, diocese museum, medieval necropolis and many churches and historic buildings, as well as doing a circular cycle tour exploring the surrounding landscape.
23 miles (38 km) / Climb: 390 m
Day 8: Departure
Return to Madrid to fly back home or why not extend your stay in this interesting city?t is possible to upgrade to the historic luxury of the **** Parador, a lovingly restored 12th century castle now converted into a comfortable hotel.
A selection of hand-picked, family-run hotels in an authentic rural environment in the heart of Castile.
Day 1, Ayllón
Day 2, Riofrio de Riaza
Day 3, Campillo de Ranas
Day 4, Cogolludo
Day 5, Jadraque
Day 6 and 7, Sigüenza
Our hire bikes and equipment:
A bicycle specialist will deliver your hire bike and adjust it to your specifications. We provide you with fully equipped touring bicycles. Remember that we carry your luggage between hotels so you can travel light.
||GIANT ARGENTO or equivalent:
Other equipment provided:
- Price: 656€ per person
- Single room supplement: 137€
- Solo Traveller supplement: 271€
- Half board / dinners: 120€
- Bike hire: 90€
- Electric Bike hire: 180€
- GPS rental (one per group): 30€
- 7 nights´ accommodation.
- 7 breakfasts.
- Luggage transfers between hotels.
- Detailed maps with your trail clearly marked.
- Itinerary description, full of recommendations for things to do and places to visit, advice and suggestions and information about your accommodation, etc.
- Emergency support.
- Activity insurance.
CHECK AVAILABILITY AND RESOLVE YOUR DOUBTS
PRICE CALCULATION AND BOOKINGUsing the tool below you can calculate the final price of your trip. PLEASE, BEFORE YOU BOOK, CONSULT AVAILABILITY.
Cycling the Landscapes of Castile