- Difficulty: Moderate
- Category: Cycling, self-guided
- Duration: 7 nights, 8 days
- Recommended time of year: 1st April - 31st October
A stunning cycling holiday through the Sierra de la Demanda Natural Park to the famous vineyards of La Rioja.
- Marvel at the National Heritage Cathedral of Burgos with its incredible stained-glass windows and towering steeples.
- Visit the World Heritage site of the Yuso monastery, a 5th century jewel and birthplace of the Castilian language.
- Meander along the spectacular valleys of the Najerilla river.
- A chance to visit famous wineries,enjoy their architecture and taste the excellent wines of La Rioja.
- Pleasant cycling amongst vineyards taking you to historic and charming villages.
- Delight your senses as you cycle through scented pine woodland and forests of beech and oak through the land of wolves, wild-boar and wild-cats!
- Peaceful cycle lanes along the 'via verde' rail trail through the Sierra de la Demanda Natural Park.
Which airport should I fly to? Bilbao or Madrid International Airports.
How do I get to the Starting Point? From Bilbao there are frequent buses to Burgos. From Madrid there are high speed trains taking two hours to reach Burgos.
How do I get back? Public transport again. Bus or trains available.
Tarmac: 80.6% Cycle track: 17.6% Dirt road: 1.8%
Day 1: Arrival to Burgos
Your tour begins as you reach the beautiful ancient city of Burgos, in the northern plains of Castilla. Your hotel is very much in the centre of town, overlooking one of the most outstanding cathedrals of Spain. You will have a chance to explore the city centre before setting off in the morning.
Day 2: Burgos to Pineda de la Sierra
Today you will receive your bikes and set off along a lovely cycle path out of the city. Once out of town, you will join the famous pilgrim route: the “Camino de Santiago” for a few kilometres and later you will cycle towards the mountains of La Demanda. This cycle track takes you completely away from traffic and deep into dense oak and beech woodland following the cycle railtrail, an old railway track which used to transport coal from the mines up on the hills.
29 miles (47 km) / Climb: 495 m
Day 3: Pineda de la Sierra to Viniegra de Abajo
After a night in the picturesque village of Pineda de la Sierra, you will join the cycle track once again for another stunning day in this nature reserve. At the end of the cycle track you will join quiet country roads following the river Najerilla downstream, amongst spectacular landscapes. You will spend the night in a beautiful, isolated mountain village.
37 miles (61 km) / Climb: 454 m
Day 4: Viniegra to San Millan de la Cogolla
Today your route takes you downstream to reach the extraordinary Monastery of Yuso, in San Millán de la Cogolla (birthplace of the first written record of the Castilian language).Take some time to marvel at the beautiful architecture and absorb the ancient, peaceful atmosphere of this special place of introspection.
28 miles (44 km) / Climb: 309 m
Day 5: San Millán de la Cogolla to San Vicente de la Sonsierra
Your cycle today takes you into the rich valley of the Ebro River, where the famed Rioja grapes are grown. You will cycle along rolling hills of extraordinary beauty, amongst ancient vineyards and other cultivations. You will spend two nights at San Vicente de la Sonsierra, from where you can explore these landscapes.
21 miles (34 km) / Climb: 232 m
Day 6: Round trip in Rioja Wine Region
Today you can enjoy a fantastic vantage point that offers outstanding views over this “wine valley” and later you will visit historic Haro, in the epicentre of the wine production area. Finally, you will cycle beside the river Ebro amongst beautifully manicured fields of vines. Take the opportunity to stop at one of the wineries you come across to try some of the local award-winning wine!
21 miles (33 km) / Climb: 411 m
Day 7: San Vicente de la Sonsierra- Laguardia- Elciego
Today you will cycle from San Vicente de la Sonsierra to the medieval town of Laguardia, just inside the Basque region, exploring some of the most famous wineries and the extraordinary architectural designs of their buildings and of course not missing the chance to taste some of the best wines that this region has to offer!
21 miles (32 km) / Climb: 338 m
Day 8: Departure
Why not take an extra night to enjoy the cultural delights of Burgos or to indulge in more wine tasting in Elciego.
Return to Bilbao or Madrid from Logroño.
Day 1 in centrally located city hotel. Days 2 to 7 in small rural hotels with character.
Day 1, Burgos
***star comfortable hotel with fabulous views!
Day 2, Pineda de la Sierra
Quirky, charming hunting lodge, full of delightful character!
Day 3, Viniegra de Abajo
A comfortable family-run rural hotel.
Day 4, San Millán de la Cogolla
Beautifully located rural hotel.
Day 5 and 6, San Vicente de la Sonsierra
A modern boutique hotel.
Day 7, El Ciego
Charming rural hotel with its own winery.
Our hire bikes and equipment:
A bicycle specialist will deliver your hire bike and adjust it to your specifications. We provide you with fully equipped touring bicycles. Remember that we carry your luggage between hotels so you can travel light.
- Price: 718€ per person
- Single room supplement: 106€
- Solo Traveller supplement: 275€
- Bike hire: 100€
- Electric Bike hire: 180€
- GPS rental (one per group): 30€
- 7 nights´ accommodation.
- 7 breakfasts and 1 dinner.
- Luggage transfers between hotels.
- Detailed maps with your trail clearly marked.
- Itinerary description, full of recommendations for things to do and places to visit, advice and suggestions and information about your accommodation, etc.
- Emergency support.
- Activity insurance.
CHECK AVAILABILITY AND RESOLVE YOUR DOUBTS
PRICE CALCULATION AND BOOKINGUsing the tool below you can calculate the final price of your trip. PLEASE, BEFORE YOU BOOK, CONSULT AVAILABILITY.
Cycling to La Rioja