- Difficulty: Moderate
- Category: Cycling, self-guided
- Duration: 7 nights, 8 days
- Recommended time of year: 1st April - 31st October
Self-guided, moderate level cycling tour along Spain´s Green Coast, from Santander to Gijón.
- Pleasant cycling through verdant countryside along beautiful coastline, stunning sandy beaches and pretty coves.
- Cheap and delicious traditional cuisine using excellent local produce: fresh fish, seafood, vegetables, excellent meats and cheeses. Lively street markets.
- The belle-époque elegance of Santander´s El Sardinero beach and bustling shopping streets, heaving bar and restaurant scene and cultural attractions.
- Perfectly preserved medieval jewel, Santillana del Mar with its bright cobbled streets and tanned stone and brick buildings.
- The town of Comillas with its lovely golden beach and tiny fishing port, cobbled old centre and modernist mansions and university buildings.
- Quaint fishing village of San Vicente de la Barquera, sitting against the imposing backdrop of the Picos de Europa mountain range.
- Beautiful coastal town of Llanes, with its small medieval core and bustling harbour.
- Fishing town and resort of Ribadesella with its fabulous Santa Marina beach.
- Villaviciosa, capital of Asturia´s Cider production, with its pretty little town center.
This tour is a cycling journey exploring the spectacular green northern coast of Spain from Santander to Gijón. This area of Spain enjoys a very appealing mild and balanced climate all year around, making it an ideal holiday destination for those people who prefer more moderate heat.
We have selected small country roads close to the coast to provide excellent views of the sea and the many coves and beautiful cliffs. This area is famous for its stunning yellow sandy beaches and you will have plenty of opportunities to enjoy some of the best.
Each night you will stay in a different interesting and beautiful location including fishing villages, medieval towns, or historic city centres. And at night you will be able to enjoy the rich cuisine that this area is renowned for.
Ferries from Southern England: More and more people are bringing their own car from the south of England to visit this part of Spain. There are Ferries to Santander from Plymouth and Portsmouth. You can leave the car in Santander for a few days while you enjoy your cycling holiday with us and at the other end catch a scenic train or bus from Gijón back to Santander to collect your car.
Which airport should I fly to? Santander or Bilbao international airports.
How do I get to the Starting Point? There are more international flights to Bilbao than to Santander. If you fly to Bilbao, you can easily get to Santander by bus. The company Alsa run a regular service (about one per hour). The transfer takes 1hr and 30mins.
How do I get back? The nearest airport to Gijón is Aeropuerto de Asturias. It is a 45 minute bus ride away. There are flights from Gijón to London, Paris, Madrid and Barcelona. If you prefer to fly back from Santander, there are regular buses from Gijón to Santander taking about 3 hours.
Day 1: Arrival to Santander
Arrival and a chance to explore the belle-époque elegance of Santander along the famous El Sardinero beach.
Day 2: Santander to Santillana del Mar
Bicycle handover and set off along cycle lanes out of the city and into the verdant countryside following the coast. Tonight you will spend your first night in the beautifully preserved town of Santillana del Mar.
33 miles (53 km)
Day 3: Santillana del Mar to San Vicente de la Barquera
Next to Santillana, you will find the internationally famous Altamira Caves, containing Spain´s finest prehistoric art, the wonderful 13.000- 35.000 year old paintings of bison, horses and other animals. Later you will enjoy the town of Comillas, an excellent place to stop for lunch and spend some time exploring. This full day will end in the fishing village of San Vicente de la Barquera where you will be able to enjoy wonderful fresh fish and seafod for dinner.
27 miles (43 km)
Day 4: San Vicente de la Barquera to Llanes
From San Vicente to Llanes it is all cycling along secondary roads near the coast with the chance to enjoy stunning beaches along the way. The beautiful coastal town of Llanes awaits you with its small medieval core and bustling harbour.
35 miles (56 km)
Day 5: Llanes to Ribadesella
You will cycle along the coast following a succession of wonderful sandy beaches, pretty coves and cliffs. Your day´s cycle ends in the small port town of Ribadesella with another stunning beach.
32 miles (52 km)
Day 6: Ribadesella to Villaviciosa
From Ribadesella to Villaviciosa you will see many orchards as this is the area where much of Asturias´ famous cider is produced. More beautiful beaches and estuaries will take you to the quaint small town of Villaviciosa.
34 miles (54 km)
Day 7: Villaviciosa to Gijón
One final cycling day along small country roads following the coast will take you to your final destination: the small city of Gijón. GIjón has emerged from its industrial past and has given itself a facelift with pedestrianized streets, parks, seafront walks, cultural attractions and a very lively food and drinks scene.
32 miles (52 km)
Day 8: Departure or extra nights
Extra nights in Gijón, Santander or return.
Day 1 Santander
Three star hotel in the most stunning location in Santander: the Sardinero Beach, it offers wonderful views to the beach and the Magdalena Palace.
Day 2 Santillana del Mar
XVI century palace of Valdielso, rebuilt in the XIX century maintaining its spectacular historic features. 3 stars.
Day 3 San Vicente de la Barquera
Modern and centrally located 3 stars hotel within walking distance from both the monumental historic town centre and the lively fishing port area.
Day 4 Llanes
XVII century building originally used as a convent, then military house and later school to finally be converted into a hotel. 3 stars.
Day 5 Ribadesella
Rustic style 3 stars hotel, with swimming pool. Restaurant chef awarded Michelin star.
Day 6 Villaviciosa
Modern 3 stars hotel centrally located in the middle of the lovely fishing village of Villaviciosa.
Day 7 Gijón
Modern sea front hotel located in a privileged position in the commercial and cultural heart of the city as well as overlooking the beautiful San Lorenzo beach.
Our hire bikes and equipment:
A bicycle specialist will deliver your hire bike and adjust it to your specifications. We provide you with fully equipped touring bicycles. Remember that we carry your luggage between hotels so you can travel light.
April, May, June, September and Oct.
- Price: 690€ per person
- Single supplement: 129€
- Solo Traveller supplement: 254€
- Half board: 120€
- Bike hire: 100€
- E-Bike hire: 150€
July and August.
- Price: 841€ per person
- Single supplement: 219€
- Solo Traveller supplement: 344€
- Half board: 120€
- Bike hire: 100€
- E-Bike hire: 150€
- 7 nights´ accommodation.
- 7 breakfasts.
- Luggage transfers between hotels.
- Detailed maps with your trail clearly marked.
- Itinerary description, full of recommendations for things to do and places to visit, advice and suggestions and information about your accommodation, etc.
- Emergency support.
- Activity insurance.