- Difficulty: Moderate
- Category: Cycling, self-guided
- Duration: 7 nights, 8 days
- Recommended time of year: 1st April - 31st October
Self-guided, moderate level, luxury cycling tour in La Rioja.
- A cycling journey through the vineyards of the famed wine-growing region of La Rioja.
- Two nights in the capital of La Rioja: Logroño. Famous for its many tapas bars and quaint historic city center.
- Cycling along the historic Camino de Santiago for one day.
- A chance to visit the World Heritage Site: Monasteries of Suso and Yuso.
- Many opportunities to visit wineries and wine museums.
- One night in the stunning mountain town of Ezcaray.
- Another night in the beautiful walled medieval town of Laguardia.
- Easy cycling amongst vineyards along very quiet country lanes and good dirt roads.
This is a leisure cycling tour that takes you to visit the most significant spots of the Rioja region. Starting in Logroño, a small but characterful city with a very pleasant historic city centre, full of small cafes and bars serving wonderful tapa; the cycling begins along the famous Camino de Santiago, ancient pilgrimage road where people from many different countries walk or cycle every year. You will get a chance to visit the stunning monastery of Yuso, a World Heritage Site, known to be the birth of the written Spanish language, and later the beautiful mountain village of Ezcaray, full of charm. From here it is on to the heart of the wine growing area, cycling amongst vineyards, you will be able to visit a number of wineries and wine museums. Towards the end of the tour you will spend one night at the medieval town of Laguardia built on a hill top and with commanding views to the surrounding countryside. This tour is one to enjoy leisure cycling, tasting wonderful wines and discover this beautiful area of Spain at your own pace.
Which airport should I fly to? Bilbao international airport or Madrid international Airport.
How do I get to the Starting Point? Take a train from Bilbao to Logroño : 2hrs30mins. Train from Madrid to Logroño: aprox. 4 hrs.
How do I get back? Train from Logroño to Bilbao: 2hrs 30 mins. Train Logroño to Madrid: aprox 4hrs.
Day 1: Arrival to Logroño
Logroño, capital of la Rioja, is a small but vibrant city with a beautiful historic city center and excellent restaurants and tapas bars.
Day 2: Logroño to San Millán de la Cogolla
Short transfer to the starting point. Handover of bikes and cycle along the Camino de Santiago for the first 20 kms to experience this ancient long distance pilgrim route with World Heritage recognition. Tonight you will reach the beautiful town of San Millan de la Cogolla which holds two historical and cultural jewels: the Monasteries of Yuso and Suso, both World Heritate Sites.
23 miles (38 km)
Day 3: San Millán de la Cogolla to Ezcaray
After a chance to visit the Monasteries in the morning, today is an easy cycle through lovely countryside to the historic town of Ezcaray, set on the foothills of the impressive Sierra de la Demanda mountains. Tonight a chance to dine in the exclusive two Michelin Star restaurant Echaurren in Ezcaray.
21 miles (33 km)
Day 4: Ezcaray to Haro
Another easy cycle, this time along a dedicated cycle lane, away from any traffic. Coffee stops in Santo Domingo de la Calzada and Casalareina will reveal two rich historic and artistic towns well worth exploring before arriving to the capital of wine production in the Rioja region: Haro.
21 miles (35 km)
Day 5: Circular route Haro
There will be chances to visit wineries in Haro in the morning and evening but today you will ride along a delightful loop amongst vineyards to take in the essence of this rich region.
18 miles (30 km)
Day 6: Haro to Laguardia
Set off cycling along the river Ebro always amongst vineyards to reach the beautiful town of Briones where you can visit the Wine Museum of the wineries Vivancos. From here enjoy the quiet country roads taking you through stunning landscapes until you reach beautifully preserved medieval town of Laguardia where you will spend the night.
23 miles (36 km)
Day 7: Laguardia to Logroño
Soon after leaving Laguardia you come to the town of El Ciego, famous for its wineyard Marques de Riscal and its spectacular building designed by architect Frank Gehry. One last cycle along small country roads surrounded by vineyards beside the river Ebro until we reach Logroño.
18 miles (30 km)
Day 8: Departure
Extra nights in Logroño or Bilbao to visit the Guggenheim Museum.
4 nights in 4**** hotels and 3 nights in superior rural accommodation.
Day 1 and 7 Logroño
Day 2 San Millán de la Cogolla
Day 3 Ezcaray
Day 4 and 5 Haro
Day 6 Laguardia
Our hire bikes and equipment:
A bicycle specialist will deliver your hire bike and adjust it to your specifications. We provide you with fully equipped touring bicycles. Remember that we carry your luggage between hotels so you can travel light.
- Price: 831€ per person
- Single room supplement: 230€
- Solo Traveller supplement: 353€
- Half board / dinners (wine not incl.): 150€
- Bike hire: 90€
- 7 nights´ accommodation.
- 7 breakfasts.
- Transfer to starting point on day 2.
- Luggage transfers between hotels.
- Detailed maps with your trail clearly marked.
- Itinerary description, full of recommendations for things to do and places to visit, advice and suggestions and information about your accommodation, etc.
- Emergency support.
- Activity insurance.