- Difficulty: Moderate
- Category: Cycling, self-guided
- Duration: 7 nights, 8 days
- Recommended time of year: 1st April - 31st October
A luxury cycling journey through the vineyards of the famed wine region, La Rioja.
- This is cycling with a real touch of luxury: ****star hotels, Michelin star restaurants and some of the best wines Spain has to offer.
- Two nights in the capital of La Rioja, Logroño, famous for its many tapas bars and quaint historic city centre.
- One day cycling along the ancient pilgrim route "El Camino de Santiago" in the company of walkers and cyclists from all over the world.
- Visit the spectacular Unesco World Heritage Site: the monasteries of Suso and Yuso, the birthplace of the Spanish language.
- Cycle in the heart of this celebrated wine growing area amongst vineyards, wineries and wine museums.
- One night in the stunning mountain town of Ezcaray, full of charm and original architecture.
- Explore the medieval walled town of Laguardia, perched on a hill-top with commanding views. Take the opportunity to visit the ancient churches with their treasured baroque paintings.
- Peaceful cycling along very quiet country lanes and tracks, with a glass of wine awaiting you at every turn!
Which airport should I fly to? Bilbao international airport or Madrid international Airport.
How do I get to the Starting Point? Take a train from Bilbao to Logroño : 2hrs30mins. Train from Madrid to Logroño: aprox. 4 hrs.
How do I get back? Train from Logroño to Bilbao: 2hrs 30 mins. Train Logroño to Madrid: aprox 4hrs.
Day 1: Arrival to Logroño
Logroño, capital of la Rioja, is a small but vibrant city with a beautiful historic city centre and excellent restaurants and tapas bars. Soak in the atmosphere with a fabulous glass of Rioja.
Day 2: Logroño to San Millan de la Cogolla
Your morning starts with a short transfer to the starting point and handover of bikes. Here you will ride a section of the long distance pilgrim route El Camino de Santiago, which will take you to the beautiful town of San Millan de la Cogolla where you can visit two historical and cultural jewels: the Monasteries of Yuso and Suso, both Unesco World Heritage Sites.
23 miles (38 km) / Climb: 541 m
Day 3: San Millán de la Cogolla to Ezcaray
After another chance to visit the monasteries in the morning, today is an easy cycle through rolling countryside to the historic town of Ezcaray, set in the foothills of the impressive Sierra de la Demanda mountains. Tonight you'll have the chance to dine in the exclusive **star Michelin restaurant, Echaurren in Ezcaray.
21 miles (33 km) / Climb: 421 m
Day 4: Ezcaray to Haro
Another easy cycle, this time along a dedicated cycle lane, away from any traffic. Coffee stops in Santo Domingo de la Calzada and Casalareina will reveal two rich historic and artistic towns well worth exploring, before arriving to the capital of wine production in the Rioja region: Haro.
21 miles (35 km) / Climb: 80 m
Day 5: Circular route Haro
There will be chances to visit wineries in Haro in the morning and evening, but today you will ride along a delightful loop amongst vineyards to take in the essence of this rich region.
18 miles (30 km) / Climb: 471 m
Day 6: Haro to Laguardia
Today you cycle along the river Ebro amongst vineyards, to reach the beautiful town of Briones where you can visit the Wine Museum of the Vivancos vineyard. From here, you'll enjoy the quiet country roads taking you through colourful landscapes until you reach the beautifully preserved medieval town of Laguardia.
23 miles (36 km) / Climb: 661 m
Day 7: Laguardia to Logroño
Soon after leaving Laguardia, you come to the town of El Ciego, famous for its Marques de Riscal vineyard and its spectacular building designed by architect Frank Gehry. You rejoin the river Ebro on winding country roads which take you back to Logroño.
18 miles (30 km)/ Climb: 166 m
Day 8: Departure
Why not treat yourself to an extra night or two to enjoy Logroño or to visit Bilbao and the Guggenheim Museum?
4 nights in ****star hotels and 3 nights in superior rural accommodation:
Day 1 and 7 Logroño
Day 2 San Millán de la Cogolla
Day 3 Ezcaray
Day 4 and 5 Haro
Day 6 Laguardia
Our hire bikes and equipment:
A bicycle specialist will deliver your hire bike and adjust it to your specifications. We provide you with fully equipped touring bicycles. Remember that we carry your luggage between hotels so you can travel light.
- Price: 831€ per person
- Single room supplement: 230€
- Solo Traveller supplement: 353€
- Half board / dinners (wine not incl.): 150€
- Bike hire: 90€
- GPS rental (one per group): 15€
- 7 nights´ accommodation.
- 7 breakfasts.
- Transfer to starting point on day 2.
- Luggage transfers between hotels.
- Detailed maps with your trail clearly marked.
- Itinerary description, full of recommendations for things to do and places to visit, advice and suggestions and information about your accommodation, etc.
- Emergency support.
- Activity insurance.