Donkey family trail, 5 days
Experience a relaxing walking trail following in the footsteps of shepherds, with stops each night at a different small rural hotel.
All this along the northern slopes of the Guadarrama Nature Reserve, an area renown for its wildlife and stunning scenery.
We move your luggage between hotels so you can travel light.
“Go for a walk with a donkey?”
"Telling a few people about this journey was met with smiles and laughter; then interest. When you explain that the idea is to experience what travelling used to be like and have an adventure, you spark people’s interest. "
Simon Lynch, Just Landed.
- 4 nights accommodation in family-friendly small rural hotels.
- 4 breakfasts, 3 picnic lunches and 2 dinners.
- Luggage transfers between hotels.
- Detailed maps with your trail clearly marked.
- Itinerary description, full of recommendations for things to do and places to visit, advice and suggestions and information about your accommodation, etc.
- Emergency support.
- Activity insurance.
- Donkey hire (3 days).
- Local transfers.
- Extra night/s in Segovia or Madrid.
- Day 1 Arrival at the quiet rural town of Prádena in Segovia. This being Spain, you will have time for a swim in the local pool and a walk before dinner.
Accommodation: La Posada del Acebo, Prádena. (www.el-acebo.com)
- Day 2 You meet your donkey and are shown how to handle and look after him and then set off along the "Cañada Real Segoviana", ancient drove road towards the village of Arcones (breakfast, picnic lunch and dinner included).
8 km walk
- Accommodation: Hostal La Cerca, Arcones. (www.tursegovia.com/lacerca/default.asp)
- Day 3 Continue along the Cañada, in the footsteps of shepherds moving their flocks of sheep in search of fresh pastures until you reach the mountain village of Gallegos (breakfast, picnic lunch and dinner included).
12 km walk
- Accommodation: Centro de Turismo Rural La Data, Gallegos. (www.ladata.es)
- Day 4 One last day of gentle walking along the drove road, with spectacular views of the nearby villages and the plains of Castilla to the north. On arrival to your destination, enjoy the beautifully preserved medieval town of Pedraza (breakfast and picnic lunch included).
8 km walk
- Accommodation: Hosteria del Arco, Pedraza. (www.hosteriadelarco.com)
- Day 5 Return (breakfast included).
- Optional extra nights in Pedraza, Segovia or Madrid can be booked for you.
El Acebo, Prádena:
Typical village house from 1752, restored and decorated in keeping with its original character. It is located in the very village square of this small village. Comprised of eight comfortable bedrooms, common living room and terrace. Run by a friendly local family who don´t speak English but are very willing to understand.
La Cerca, Arcones:
Traditional building in a typical village, on the foothills of the Guadarrama Mountains. Renown in the area for its excellent traditional food. A favorite for the locals. Ten comfortable rooms, dining room, bar and terrace. Vibrant hosts do not speak English but manage just fine.
La Data, Gallegos:
Small rural hotel full of character. Eleven comfortable bedrooms imaginatively decorated. Common areas include dining room, living room, terrace and gardens. Excellent host who speaks English.
Hostería del Arco, Pedraza:
Located in the beautifully preserved medieval town of Pedraza, this rural hotel combines comfort with old Castilian rustic style. Ten very comfortable rooms and dining room, beautiful inner courtyard and bar. English not spoken, but friendly staff very willing to understand.
How to get there:
Which airport should I fly to? Madrid international airport.
How do I get to the Starting Point? Catch an AVE (High Speed Train) from Madrid to Segovia (12,20€, takes 25mins). From here book our local taxi transfer to Prádena (56€, takes 45 minutes)
How do I get back to Madrid? Book our local transfer from Pedraza to Segovia (45€, takes 40mins) and catch an AVE (High Speed Train) back into Madrid (12,20€, takes 25mins).
Donkey family trail, 5 days
- Price : 442€ per adult and 222€ per child. Donkey hire 120€.
- Grade : Leisure
- Recommended time of year : April - end of October